QuickBooks has a setup wizard that helps you lay the groundwork for your company, but it's not comprehensive: There are many more decisions you need to make that aren't covered by the wizard.
Click Edit | Preferences to open the Preferences window. Among the options you can set here are:
- What are the default accounts for activities like writing checks and paying bills?
- Do you want a one-window or multi-window view?
- What is the default annual interest rate?
- Do you want to use inventory and purchase orders?
- Do you create estimates?
- Do you want to use multiple currencies?
- Do you want to use payroll?
- What reminders would you like?
- Do you charge sales tax?
- Do you track time?