Ask yourself the following questions …
- Do you have a will? When did you last update it?
- What’s the primary goal of your estate plan? Avoiding taxes? Providing for your family? Charitable giving?
- If you were to pass away suddenly or become incapacitated, do your loved ones understand your wishes? How do you know? Do you have a living will?
- Do you have a durable power of attorney in the event you can’t make important decisions? Who are the principal beneficiaries of your estate? Do you know what to do if you want to make changes?
- If you have children, do you have guardians for them? Do you have trustees for the estate?
- If you own a business, what kind of succession plan does it have? How would you fund the succession plan?
- Are there charities you would like your estate to support now or in the future?
The goal of legacy planning is to pass your hard-earned possessions on to whom you want, when you want, in the way you want, while minimizing the cost, headaches, and tax burden. Our team can help you explore various strategies available for a tax efficient transfer of wealth to the next generation.